Novation Vstation activation problem and free alternative suggestions.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help? The VStation that novation was giving away does not activate anymore. I searched the net only to find that novation does not reactive vstation anymore as they switched off the activation servers.

Is there any suggestions as to any free or paid alternatives that i can try that will be close to the features and sound of the novation vstation?

Thanks in advance for everyones replies here!

I used to like the Vstation, about 20y ago!
One of my fav free synths is the ZebraCM edition. Fantastic features, love the filters, love the presets, love U-He.

Not really close to Vstation but if you don't have Icarus already, the older 1.6 version is about $5.

https://www.zinio.com/gb/computer-music ... 24-i619472
Last edited by Examigan on Sun May 19, 2024 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Honestly, Synth 1 sounds just as good as the V-Station and has tons and tons of banks. It might not look all that sexy, but a couple of my friends use it all the time, and I'm always asking them "how'd you make that?".

Nakst Extrabold
GR-8
HY Poly free
Dead duck Reducktion

U-he ZebraCM
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

I always say that freebie are not free if you need someone else to authorize (for the same reason i try to avoid plugins that require server connection for auth).

About a free alternative, even if not really the same, i think the best you can find are Vital and SurgeXT

In addition to what people have said, other good free synths are Odin 2, Tyrell N6, Cobalt, Charlatan, and VK-1 Viking

Zebra CM is not freeware but magware but yeah, sounds nice :) (only 2 osc yet)
If we go in the magware domain...
then the best similar synth is Dune CM (3 osc)
or as freeware like I said Extrabold, Reducktion ...both 3 osc

Thank you guys for your help, i will definetly try your suggestions!

I'm pretty sure the free version came with it's own license file. I have a folder on my hard drive called "Novation legacy releases" with all the installers that were made available, as well as .fnlf files that are the license files. If you previously managed to activate it with the legacy (free) release, you must have these files somewhere too.

The license files were tied to the machine they were activated on. If surreal is trying to activate it on a new machine the old file won't work.
Image Image Image Image

sjm wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:44 pm I'm pretty sure the free version came with it's own license file. I have a folder on my hard drive called "Novation legacy releases" with all the installers that were made available, as well as .fnlf files that are the license files. If you previously managed to activate it with the legacy (free) release, you must have these files somewhere too.
I found my fnlf file in the program data directory so yes on my main studio pc with win7 it is all there but the problem is when i re install it on my laptop I cant activate it. I read in the manual and as Sprnva correctly stated that the licence was locked to the computer that it is installed on. So the best is to try the other Synths as suggested and see if i cant match my favorite sounds on the V-station with one of the suggested synths.. i think probably Synth1 might be the closest to features such as, osc sync, simple fm and ring mod but I will check the other suggestions like Surge as well?

I appreciate everyones help and input here, Thanks Dudes and (Dudettes) if there any Dudettes that answered!

Its just such a pity that Novation did not just set it free completely.....

surreal wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:27 pm Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help? The VStation that novation was giving away does not activate anymore. I searched the net only to find that novation does not reactive vstation anymore as they switched off the activation servers.

Is there any suggestions as to any free or paid alternatives that i can try that will be close to the features and sound of the novation vstation?

Thanks in advance for everyones replies here!
Just a thought, but have you tried contacting Novation support and seeing if there is anything they can do? I've contacted them for various things over the years, and although they might not be able to do much for discontinued software, overall they've been incredibly helpful over the years. It's worth a shot at least.

Return to “Instruments”