Waldorf Micro Q Emulator (Vavra)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Borbolactic wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:28 am Hi guys, I already have the great Osirus installed, and was wondering if it was worth installing Vavra. How might it compare with Osirus? Is it somehow a) 'better', b) 'worse', c) about the same, or would you suggest d) I simply go through with installing it to see for myself? e) None of the above/something else?
As the installation is so easy, and the plugin is free, just try it out yourself. ;)

+1

and my 0,2 beans:
technically it's the same: it works (very well) (slightly more cpu demanding then osirus)

soundwise i've comne to the conclusion, that i don't like waldorf (except the old analogue pulse1)

also: check out all available preset files
imho, the factory nr1 file is not that great, nr2 and the userfiles are nicer sounding (just my personal taste though...) iirc

I like it. But, to be honest, my expectations were a bit unrealistic. I had an eye on the microQ for quite a while now, and considered getting the hardware, but, now that I tried the emulation, I must say that I expected a bit too much from it really. :) It sounds nice, but, there are also some things it doesn't do as well. E.g., IMO, the unison doesn't sound very good.

Decades ago I got to play a microQ in a music store. I thought it was thin sounding. The plugin has a decibel boost selection that really makes a difference. It does sound like a synth from the 1990's.

I liked Vavra better than Osirus, I felt the Virus presets were wimpy and awful and I wasn't about to repatch the entire thing with a mouse.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:05 pm I like it. But, to be honest, my expectations were a bit unrealistic. I had an eye on the microQ for quite a while now, and considered getting the hardware, but, now that I tried the emulation, I must say that I expected a bit too much from it really. :) It sounds nice, but, there are also some things it doesn't do as well. E.g., IMO, the unison doesn't sound very good.
I owned a Micro Q for 15 years (finally sold it back in 2019 or so) and still don't see why there's such a fuss over a software version.

mothra wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:59 am I owned a Micro Q for 15 years (finally sold it back in 2019 or so) and still don't see why there's such a fuss over a software version.
I agree. I have an original Q with the full keyboard sitting near me gathering dust. The only thing I miss about using it is the interface -- mostly one knob per function. But it can't compete soundwise with modern plugins IMO.

I was interested in the Q but after trying this I was left massively underwhelmed…

Yup- just because you can doesn't mean you should. Never had a real Q so cant comment on authenticity, but as a plugin it did nothing for me.

I see they are working on the TI now, I think you can get access if you 'donate' to the project.
I guess now the TI has been discontinued as hardware it's a viable release?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Q and microQ don't sound the same.

SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:58 pm Yup- just because you can doesn't mean you should. Never had a real Q so cant comment on authenticity, but as a plugin it did nothing for me.

I see they are working on the TI now, I think you can get access if you 'donate' to the project.
I guess now the TI has been discontinued as hardware it's a viable release?
Yeah, that's why they release it now.

It takes considerably more CPU than the Virus C emulation though. You need a very performant CPU to run it.

Not really but the CPU is quite high for one plugin. (45% CPU)

Can’t believe I missed this! Wow. Hope they can one day do something like this for the Blofeld.

osiris wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:54 pm Not really but the CPU is quite high for one plugin. (45% CPU)
Which CPU?

masterhiggins wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:56 pm Can’t believe I missed this! Wow. Hope they can one day do something like this for the Blofeld.
I don't know which DSP chip the Blofeld uses.

Also, Largo is pretty much like the Blofeld. Minus the PPG filter, and some other minor differences.

Return to “Instruments”