3am - gradated (lofi ambient)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I put together a minimal patch for show I'll be performing this coming Thursday, May 23.
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/gradated
https://youtube.com/shorts/GMptRd5ShI0?feature=share

Made from loops of feedback and my voice along with some cross-modulated oscillators, all courtesy of my Cocoquantus2 and Keyed Mosstone. BBD delay, Hologram Microcosm and some spring reverb for the effects and additional looping. Recorded to a Zoom H5 in a single take. A little bit of the bad kind of clipping. I put a lot of care into the gain staging but it's still really tough to keep the feedback under control on the fly. :hihi:
Last edited by justin3am on Tue May 28, 2024 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This piece goes to some lovely places. So subtle. So spare. My interested was maintained for the length of the piece.

Hey, thanks for listening! The composition is very simple, so I'm glad it held your attention for the full 12 minutes. It's a 20 minute set, so I gotta be able to stretch it out a little longer. :hihi:

Deeply calming and relaxing.....
This is one of those times where less is more.
Very satisfying....

justin3am wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 am ... the bad kind of clipping ...
The bad kind of clipping usually happens after my barber sneezes :(

It's one of those ambient pieces that manages to project tension (eerie vocal) and calm (rhythmic delays) at the same time. It works both as a quiet, background listening accompaniment, but also as a more immersive experience, at a much higher volume.

If this makes it to an album, you'll be able to give yourself a lead vocal credit :wink:

Good work :)
Last edited by seismic1 on Thu May 23, 2024 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Gradated": Very nice little performance that takes the listener into a fantasy world.
The own vocalistic parts add something very organically human. In doing so, you leave
the purely technically associative part and immerse yourself in the world of the
subconscious and human reasoning. Great! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

seismic1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:01 pm
justin3am wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 am ... the bad kind of clipping ...
The bad kind of clipping usually happens after my barber sneezes :(
lolololol :lol: Sounds like an easy way to lose an ear!

I think you will likely be hearing my voice more on upcoming projects. I've kinda started to learn not to hate the sound of my own voice as much as I did... or at least I don't recognize it as much when buried under so many effects, lol.

Thanks for listening!

enroe wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:02 am "Gradated": Very nice little performance that takes the listener into a fantasy world.
The own vocalistic parts add something very organically human. In doing so, you leave
the purely technically associative part and immerse yourself in the world of the
subconscious and human reasoning. Great! :tu:
That's the goal! Get lost in the performance and just let the sound flow, whatever may come. Working with unpredictable tools in a live setting has definitely taught me to embrace the imperfect but also to get better results from simple sound generators and gestures.

Thanks for listening!

I was able to perform the piece at our patch-and-play even last night, just about the same as I recorded it. I think someone may have grabbed some video, so I'll post that when I get it. The even went really well! Can't wait for next month!

Here is a short clip from the performance of this piece at the LA Synth Club's Patch and Play event at the Lincoln Beer Company in Burbank, CA.
https://youtube.com/shorts/GMptRd5ShI0?feature=share

Wonderful !

Return to “Music Cafe”